Monday, October 29, 2007

#6 & #7: RSS


Homework.
#6: Internet feed magic? I think I must be missing the point of these but I really don't see how these "value add" other than leaving your with one bookmark (to the feed) rather than a series of bookmarks to the pages (doing the feeding?). I also don't like the way these seem to strip the information of context and just dumps it into a bucket. I know there are people who love these kinds of things (the same people whose mobile phones have become multimedia entertainment experiences) but I really don't see the point.... if you don't have time to scan a few pages you're not going to have time to really read much anyway. One of the reading said something to the effect that RSS feeds allow you to access the information you want, when you want it. Perhaps if I could get the RSS feed to be a bit more selective (to only feed you articles about giant squids from a variety of sources) it might be useful... might infact be as useful as a search engine or database!

#7: I have had a quick search for feeds that might be of interest to me. Topix does seem to allow for a reasonable range of specific feeds related to topic which is a bit more interesting. However the feeds from Topix still seems a bit hit and miss in terms of relevance.

End homework.

No comments: